Seminar for School Administrators in Utilizing Thailand Lesson Study Incorporated Open Approach (TLSOA) Model
Supported by: Education Equality Fund (EEF) / Organized by IRDTP for ASEAN and CRME, Khon Kaen University
together with the Education for Development Foundation (EDF), Thailand
October 29-30, 2022 (Thailand time 9.00 am to 16.00 hours) - IRDTP for ASEAN Building Phase 2, Khon Kaen University –
The IRDTP for ASEAN and CRME Khon Kaen University organized a two-days seminar related to utilizing Thailand Lesson
Study Incorporated Open Approach (TLSOA) model for school administrators to continuously upgrade education quality. Vice
President for Research and Graduate Studies Professor Dr. Monchai Duangjinda delivered his opening remarks. This was
followed by Vice President for Education and Academic Services and Acting Director of IRDTP for ASEAN, Associate
Professor Dr. Maitree Inprasitha who developed the TLSOA model and thus reported the success history of the TLSOA model
over the years. Associate Professor Dr. Kittichai Trairatanasirichai who is the Vice President of Rajamangala University
of Technology Lanna Council and also the former President of Khon Kaen University and Dr. Phumiphat Ruenglae who is the
Assistant Secretary General of the Council of Education and also external supervisor of IRDTP for ASEAN presented their
welcoming remarks. Dr. Bunya Leelad who is the former senator, and the Chairman of the Education and Science
sub-committee gave greetings to school administrators and teachers who participated in this seminar.
The seminar was started by Professor Dr. Monchai Duangjinda with a special speech titled “Directions of Research
Innovation in Education of the Country”. This was followed by the key facilitator of the seminar, Associate Professor
Dr. Maitree Inprasitha on the topic of “Utilization of TLSOA Model to Develop Thinking Skills in Education”. The
participants of this seminar consisted of school directors from the first- and second-generation project schools of
Education Equality Fund, those school directors involved in innovation areas under the administration of Education for
Development Foundation, and school directors and teachers from research schools under the operation of CRME who used to
utilize the TLSOA model in their teaching. A total of 114 schools encompassing 19 provinces in the Northeast, Eastern,
North, Central, and South regions of Thailand were the participants in this seminar.
Various activities were conducted mainly to provide sufficient opportunities for the participants to exchange knowledge
in utilizing the TLSOA model. These activities aimed to disseminate knowledge gained from the Education Equality Fund
project in terms of their knowledge development by taking into account the designing of lesson plans, implementing the
lessons, and their reflections from their successful experiences that would be guidelines for the school administrators
who are going to be the new generation of the network schools. The main source of sharing knowledge within the project
community will help the network schools to continue working closely with IRDTP for ASEAN as follows:
- (i) An Open Class was conducted by Mr. Anucha Koyata as the teacher to Mathayomsuksa 1 students from Ban Phai School on
the topic of data management in mathematics subject. The Open Class results were led by Associate Professor Dr. Maitree
Inprasitha and some expert teachers.
- (ii) A discussion group was conducted by the School Administrators Club between the Retired School Director
Representatives who have utilized the TLSOA model with the current School Director Representatives on the issue of
“Changes arising from the utilization of the TLSOA model”.
On October 30, 2022, two important events were organized as follows:
- (1) A memorandum of understanding (MoU) signing ceremony on academic cooperation and development with educational
personnel from 52 schools.
- (2) A parallel workshop training using the TLSOA model was conducted concurrently in seven rooms and consisted of seven
different practical components:
- 2.1 Room 1: Designing lesson plans for mathematics subjects at the lower primary level facilitated by Dr. Nisakorn Boonsena, lecturer in the Department of Mathematics Education, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University.
- 2.2 Room 2: Designing lesson plans for mathematics subjects in the upper primary level facilitated by Dr. Jitlada Jaikla, lecturer in the Department of Mathematics Education, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University.
- 2.3 Room 3: Designing lesson plans for mathematics subjects at the junior high school level facilitated by Associate Professor Dr. Auijit Pattanajak, external supervisor of IRDTP for ASEAN, and Miss Nuttida Nambuddi, lecturer in the
Department of Mathematics Education, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University.
- 2.4 Room 4: Designing lesson plans using pattern blocks as teaching aids facilitated by Assistant Professor Dr. Narumon Changsri, Director of CRME, Assistant Director of Research and Innovation Development, IRDTP for ASEAN, and lecturer in
the Department of Mathematics Education, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University.
- 2.5 Room 5: Designing lesson plans for science subjects facilitated by Assistant Professor Dr. Jiradawan Hantula, lecturer in the Department of Science Education, Faculty of Education and Assistant Director of Professional Development
and Academic Services, IRDTP for ASEAN, Khon Kaen University.
- 2.6 Room 6: Designing lesson plans for art subjects and career (integration) facilitated by Associate Professor Jumpol Rachyijit, counselor for Academic Services and Training, IRDTP for ASEAN, Khon Kaen University, Assistant Professor
Piyasak Pakkhothanang, lecturer in Department of Art Education, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University and Assistant
Professor Khem Kenkok, lecturer in Department of Art Education, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University.
- 2.7 Room 7: Designing lesson plans for language subjects facilitated by Assistant Professor Dr. Phongthanat Sae-joo, Acting Deputy Director of IRDTP for ASEAN and lecturer in Department of Computer Education, Faculty of Education, Khon
Kaen University, Assistant Professor Nareenard Klinhom, Assistant Director of Administrative Affairs of IRDTP for ASEAN
and lecturer in Department of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Faculty of Education, Khon Kaen University, Mrs.
Puangthong Poolrueang, a specialist in Human Resource Development of IRDTP for ASEAN, Khon Kaen University, and Mr. Uk
Inprasitha, a specialist in Teaching Profession and Educational Staff Development of IRDTP for ASEAN, Khon Kaen
The two-day seminar ended with a reflection session whereby those experts reflected on the results together with the participants. The closing ceremony highlighted the sustainability of the TLSOA model for eight years throughout the
country. A total of 517 individuals were involved in this reflection session consisting of school directors, educational
personnel, educational supervisors, teachers, network lecturers from various local universities, administrators, and
personnel of Khon Kaen University